Office Of The Dean
The School of Dentistry (as it was known then) started in 1976 and the first batch of students was admitted in the 1977/78 session. It was established as an integral part of the College of Medical Sciences in 1975 by an amendment to the Edict establishing the University of Benin.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHOOL
At the end of the University of Benin B.D.S programme, the dental graduate would have acquired pre-requisite knowledge, attitudes and skills that will enable him to:
- Function as a broad based general duty dental officer in any part of Nigeria.
- Identify the country’s present and future dental problems, search for information to manage or resolve them and implement relevant programmes in preventive dental health care.
- Manage common dental emergencies.
- Integrate the practice of preventive dentistry in all his professional work.
- Collaborate with a health team and if necessary act as the leader of the team.
- Persevere in continuing self-education, recognizing his educational needs and selecting appropriate learning and evaluation resources.
- Have sufficient grounding in the basic medical sciences and scientific method so that he is capable of benefitting from further vocational training to become a specialist.
- Practice his profession always with high ethical standards and administrative integrity.
- Perform at a level sufficiently high to be recognized as a dental surgeon trained to international standards.